Monthly Archives: July 2014

Worship

Our church is about spreading the word of God and telling the good news about Jesus Christ. It is also about what we do, particularly what we do together. We are not, in any sense, a closed fellowship, just a bunch of people who believe that the message preached by Jesus Christ is worth trying to live out, not only on Sundays, but also Monday to Saturday.

We also recognise that we are fortunate to have such a beautiful church building. This category ‘A’ listed building is special in many different ways, including, the only Robert Adam church in the country; the only church in the United Kingdom where, we believe, a serving US President has attended regular Sunday morning worship; a building with historical connections to Oswald, King of Northumbria; Robert the Bruce; Robert Burns; Dwight D Eisenhower. We have a responsibility to pass on this heritage so we must be careful stewards of the building.

Our services in Kirkoswald begin at 11.15 am each Sunday, and on the first Sunday of each month there is normally a cup of tea/coffee served after the morning service which is a useful time to meet and chat informally.

We use a variety of materials in worship. Each week we produce copies of the order of service for the Sunday. We also regularly record our services and these are available on CD format for those who are housebound.

Worship at Maidens – Holidaymakers Church – from the beginning of June until the end of August there is a service in Maidens Church. The Hall is situated just next to Little K Kitchen. These services commence at 10 am.
Worship at Malin Court – there is a monthly service at Malin Court at 2.30 pm on the second Wednesday of the month. Although intended primarily for the residents of Malin Court, these services are open to all.

 

Welcome

Thank you for visiting the website of Kirkoswald Parish Church. I hope you will enjoy your time with us, and will consider this a personal invitation to join us in worship any Sunday morning when you will be made very welcome.

We are presently linked with Fisherton Church, Dunure.
We are at present without a minister, our previous one having retired in January 2013. In the vacancy we have one person working to ensure that the functions performed by the minister continue to happen. Rev Robert Lynn is our Interim Moderator and Locum Minister. Robert is Minister Emeritus of Ayr; St Leonard’s Parish Church linked with Dalrymple. He served the congregation for over 21 years, with his final year linked with Dalrymple Parish Church. He served Presbytery as Moderator during 2005/06.

On our website there is a variety of information which we hope you will find interesting.
If you are a visitor, you are especially welcome. There is a visitor’s book in the porch of the church, and we will value the addition of your details.
Kirkoswald Parish Church is a Scottish Registered Charity No. SC000213

 

Diary

August 2014
Sunday 3 Holidaymakers Church, Maidens 10.00 am
Sunday 3 Morning Service 11.15 am
Wednesday 6 Lunch Club – Kirkoswald Church Hall 12 noon
Sunday 10 Holidaymakers Church, Maidens 10.00 am
Sunday 10 Morning Service 11.15 am
Wednesday 13 Malin Court Monthly Service 2.30 pm
Sunday 17 Holidaymakers Church, Maidens 10.00 am
Sunday 17 Morning Service 11.15 am
Saturday 23 Maidens Harbour Gala TBC
Sunday 24 Holidaymakers Church, Maidens 10.00 am
Sunday 24 Morning Service 11.15 am
Sunday 31 Holidaymakers Church, Maidens 10.00 am
Sunday 31 Morning Service 11.15 am

September 2014
Wednesday 3 Lunch Club — Kirkoswald Church Hall 12 noon
Sunday 7 Morning Service 11.15 am
Wednesday 10 Malin Court Monthly Service 2.30 pm
Wednesday 10 Congregational Board/Session 7.00 pm
Meeting, Kirkoswald
Sunday 14 Morning Service 11.15 am
Sunday 21 Morning Service 11.15 am
Sunday 28 Joint Songs of Praise, Fisherton 9.45 am

October 2014
Wednesday 1 Lunch Club—Kirkoswald Church Hall 12 noon
Sunday 5 Harvest Service 11.15 am
Wednesday 8 Malin Court Monthly Service 2.30 pm
Sunday 12 Morning Service 11.15 am
Sunday 19 Morning Service 11.15 am
Monday 20 Guild meeting, Maidens Hall 1.30 pm
Sunday 26 Morning Service 11.15 am

Contact us

Interim Moderator/Locum Minister
Rev Robert Lynn
8 Kirkbrae
Maybole
KA19 7ER
Tel. 01655 884012
E-mail:  randglynn@btinternet.com
Session Clerk, Kirkoswald
Mrs Jean Sommerville
16 Baineshill Drive
Maidens
KA26 9NP
Tel. 01655 331359
Session Clerk, Fisherton
Mrs Margaret McCreath
4 Kennedy Drive
Dunure
KA7 4LS
Tel. 01292 500226

 

 

Legal Policy

www.kirkoswaldparishchurch.org.uk (hereinafter ‘the Web Site’) is comprised of various web pages. Use of the web site is offered to you on condition that you accept, without modification, the following terms and conditions.
In accessing Kirkoswald Parish Church’s website, you agree that you will only use the downloaded content of the website for your own personal and domestic, non-commercial use. Kirkoswald Parish Church reserves the right to withdraw this authorisation at any time by notice on this website. You are not permitted, and agree not to copy, download, store (in any medium), alter or change the content of this or any part of Kirkoswald Parish Church’s website for any purpose whatsoever without the prior approval of Kirkoswald Parish Church.
You agree to use this site only for lawful and proper purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe, restrict or limit the rights or enjoyment of this site by any other person. In particular, you must not do anything which is unlawful, or which may harass or cause distress or inconvenience to any person or disrupt of normal flow of dialogue within this web site or transmit any material which is or may be obscene, offensive or indecent.
Any person using the information in this website uses such information at his or her own risk. In no circumstances shall Kirkoswald Parish Church be liable for any loss or damage, howsoever arising, out of or in connection with the use of the website.
Kirkoswald Parish Church does not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this website will be uninterrupted and error free, that any defects which may occur will be corrected, or that this website or the server that makes it available are free from viruses or bugs.
Kirkoswald Parish Church reserves the right to make changes to this website at any time.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of Scotland. All disputes arising shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
If these terms and conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this website must be terminated immediately. Any continued use of this website shall be deemed acceptance by you of these terms and conditions.

Parishes Profile

Church of Scotland
Fisherton and Kirkoswald Parish Churches

Fisherton Church      Fisherton Church

Kirkoswald Church      Kirkoswald Church

The Parishes:  The rural parishes of Kirkoswald and Fisherton in South Ayrshire extend from 1.5 miles north of the seaside town of Girvan to the southern boundary of the town of Ayr.  The A77 runs the length of the Parish of Kirkoswald, with access south to Stranraer and the ferry terminals to Northern Ireland.  The A719 coastal route runs through the Parish of Fisherton.

Both routes allow easy access north to Ayr, Glasgow Prestwick Airport and the City of Glasgow.  There are regular transport links to these destinations.

The area’s natural beauty, with a mixture of coastline, open countryside, historic buildings and famous golf courses, make it a popular holiday destination as well as a fine place to live.  The population of the P\arishes is concentrated mostly in Kirkoswald, Maidens and Turnberry, Dunure and Fisherton.

Ailsa Craig      Ailsa Craig

Isle of Arran      Isle of Arran

Kirkoswald: Where the church, manse and hall are situated in a village of considerable historic interest due to its connections with Robert the Bruce, John Knox, Robert Adam, Robert Burns and President Eisenhower. The village dates back to AD634 when King Oswald, having won a battle here, named the village in thanks to God. Souter Johnnie’s Cottage, a National Trust property is located in the village. In the old churchyard nearby are the graves of Robert Burn’s mother, Tam O’Shanter, Souter Johnnie and Kirkton Jean. The baptismal font of Robert the Bruce can also be found there.

Inside Kirkoswald church

Maidens: Once a thriving fishing village, now largely residential with a visiting population to the many caravan parks. Malin Court Care Home, the only care home in the parishes is located here.
Turnberry: The smallest village of the three, best known for its golf course which regularly hosts the R&A British Open Golf Championship.
Dunure: Dunure is a historic fishing village with an ancient castle and harbour. The Kennedy Park is a popular destination for day trippers and summer weekends.

Dunure Castle      Dunure Castle

Properties: This lovely Parish Church of Kirkoswald was commissioned in 1777 by Thomas, 9th Earl of Cassillis, head of the Kennedy family and Laird of Culzean Castle. Although at this time work had begun on the foundations, the famous architect, Robert Adam who was working on Culzean, was commissioned to draw up plans for the “new church”. The old stone church, a few yards away, was built in 1244 and is still a landmark of the village. The current church bell provides a link with the past having come from the old church where it first rang out in 1677.
In 1997 the new church was extensively renovated at a cost of £200,000 a good proportion of which was raised by the congregation. During renovation the original Adam colours were uncovered and restored.
Manse: Adjacent to the church is the manse which was built in 1967. It comprises 4 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, lounge, dining room, study, cloakroom and front porch. It has oil central heating and double glazing. There is an open fire in the lounge. Major external renovation has been completed. A new central heating system has been installed, and the grounds surrounding the manse have been tidied up.

Kirkoswald Manse

Kirkoswald Church Hall: Adjacent to the manse and church, built in 1970 and consists of two large meeting rooms, toilets and kitchen. The Hall has recently been refurbished inside and out with the addition of roller blinds. A planned maintenance programme has been introduced to keep the building in a good state of repair. A monthly lunch club meets in the hall.

Kirkoswald Church halls

Maidens Hall: Situated in the heart of the village, used on a regular basis for holiday makers’ services, which are well supported, taken by various preachers. A major renovation has been completed to offer a facility fit for the purpose, not only for church purposes, but for the use of the wider community. External disabled access has been added. It is used on a regular basis by a Community “T” Club.

Maidens Hall

Inside Maidens Hall

Fisherton: The Church lies about a mile north of the village in the geographical
heart of the Parish. It was built in the 1840’s and has traditional pew seating for around 120. There is no Church Hall, but events and meetings can be held in Kennedy Hall, Dunure.

Inside Fisherton Church

Membership: The number of people on the register at Kirkoswald is 224 and at Fisherton 116. Both congregations have adopted the Church of Scotland Model Deed of Constitution.
Services: Sunday morning services take place in Fisherton at 09.45am and in Kirkoswald at 11.15 am. A regular monthly service is held in Malin Court for residents and friends. A “Holiday Makers” service is normally held at 10.00 am in Maidens during June, July and August.
Communion: Communion is celebrated in Kirkoswald at 11.15am; and in Maidens Hall at 3.00pm on the first Sunday in May and November, and at 2.30pm during the regular service of worship at Malin Court. Fisherton celebrates communion at 09.45am on the third Sunday of April and October.
Worship: Both Congregations are used to a balance between traditional and modern worship, but are open to new initiatives in worship.

Guild: A Guild meets on a regular basis in Maidens Hall during the winter months, to which friends from Fisherton are invited. Kirkoswald celebrated its 120th Anniversary in autumn 2013
Sunday Club: Children enjoy attending the club, are enthusiastic, happy and willing to participate in the children’s talk in Kirkoswald Church..
Primary Schools: There are schools located in Maidens and Fisherton, and both are well known for the high standard of education and pupil care. The school are keen to continue a good working relationship with the church.
Secondary Schools: Excellent education facilities are available at Girvan Academy, and Carrick Academy, Maybole
Hospital Facilities: These are available at the new community hospital in Girvan; with a major accident and emergency facility at Ayr Hospital.
Further Education: Adult education is well served by the new University of the West of Scotland, Ayr Campus, and Ayrshire College of Further Education.
Both are located near to Dam Park with views over the River Ayr.
Industry and Business: There are a number of businesses in the parish which have a major impact on our rural community by employing local people and encouraging tourism:

Turnberry Hotel

Turnberry Resort and Spa

Culzean Castle

Culzean Castle and Country Park

Malin Court Hotel

Malin Court and Restaurant

AD Rattray’s Whisky Experience, Costley & Costley, Dowhill Country Fayre, Malin Court Hotel and Restaurant, Shanter Riding Centre, Wildings, Craig
Tara , Heads of Ayr Farm Park to name a few.
There are also a number of small independent retail premises throughout the parish which service the communities and upon which the local population depend.
Adjacent to the Parish of Kirkoswald are the major industries of Grant’s Distillery, and what is known locally as “The Alginate Factory”.

Our church buildings and its history

We are fortunate to have a beautiful church building. This category ‘A’ listed building is special in many ways, including being the only Robert Adam church in the country.
A former minister of the parish, the Rev James A Guthrie, has written a book entitled ‘A Corner of Carrick’ that tells the story of the area. Copies are available at a cost of £4 plus postage and packing. Please contact the church if you wish to order a copy.
It is believed that this lovely old parish church was commissioned by Thomas, 9th Earl of Cassillis, head of the Kennedy family around 1777. Although work had started on the foundations at an earlier period, a plan for the new church was drawn up by the famous architect Robert Adam, while working on the Earl’s castle at Culzean, which lies within the bounds of the parish. Adam came across the church during construction and recommended changes, giving the building its Palladian-style details. And so this delightful little country Kirk, contains several outstanding Adam features – the most noted being the Culzean Gallery (or Laird’s Loft) on the north wall, facing the pulpit. Other items include the stonework round the middle door and of course the beautiful Adam window again on the north wall.
The belfry contains the only link with the old pre-reformation church which now stands in ruins down in the village – that of the bell. It was made by the renowned Dutch bellmaker, Quirinus de Visscher, in 1677, and has this rather strange inscription, “CLAUD HAMILTON HAD ME MADE IN 1677” in Latin around the rim.
The Culzean Swans which sit on the Adam-type urns on the roof above the centre door are the Heraldic birds of the Kennedy family, and can be found on the Earl’s coat of arms above the pulpit.
The Roll of Ministers which can be found on the left hand side of the north wall, inside the church, has a list of clergy going back to the Reformation. James Boyde was Archbishop of Glasgow in name only.
The stained glass windows on either side of the pulpit depict the parable of the ‘last Judgement’ and on the west side ‘Christ Blessing the Children’. These windows are Victorian and were brought from the former Kincraig Church in Maybole in the 1950’s.
The Burns Pillar. Local legend has it that the pillar to the left, coming into the church, under the Culzean Gallery, is where Robert Burns, Scotland’s National Poet, got the idea for his poem, “To a Louse”: on seeing one on a lady’s collar. This is the poem which contains the lines, “O wad some pow’r the giftie gie us, Tae see irsels as ithers see us”.
The Eisenhower Pew. This is where President Dwight D Eisenhower sat when he visited the Church in 1959, making Kirkoswald the only church in the UK where a serving president of the U.S.A. has attended regular Sunday morning worship.
At the end of 1994 a small fire was discovered in the gas fuelled central heating system, and the decision was made to install a new electrical system at a cost of £6,000. Once work started however a list of other matters and defects were discovered and it was decided o appoint an architect to carry out a full survey and report on essential repairs. When the report was submitted, it listed dangerous wiring throughout, dry and wet rot under the floor and behind wall panelling, water penetration in the roof due to nail fatigue, and severe spalling of the external stonework, all at an estimated cost of £200,000.
To a small congregation of approximately 400, this seemed to be almost an impossible task, but it was decided to proceed with a complete restoration.
Historic Scotland and various other Trusts came to our aid and along with almost £50,000 raised by our own congregation, work was started in January 1997 and completed by June of that year. Today we have a beautiful Adam Church fully restored to its former glory and decorated internally with the original Adam colours which were uncovered during the restoration.
Listed Status
Category ‘A
Listed 14 April 1971
HB Number 7583
OS Map sheet NS20NW

Kirkoswald ‘old’ Parish church and graveyard
Not to be confused with our ‘New’ Parish Church that was built in 1777, the village also has an older parish church which is notable for several reasons, including being the place where Robert the Bruce was baptised. The baptismal font used can be found in the old graveyard. Characters from Robert Burns writings, including Tam o’ Shanter, Souter Johnnie and Kirkton Jean, are also buried in Kirkoswald’s old graveyard. Burns spent several months in the village in 1776 when he was around seventeen years of age.

Information
The present church building address:
Kirkoswald Parish Church
Kirk Brae
Kirkoswald
Ayrshire
Scotland
KA19 8HZ
Tel. No. +44 (0) 1655 760210